What is Namaste Kids?
Namaste Kids was created in Benenden, Kent in May 2014. Its owner and teacher is Hayley Sanderson.
Hayley says: “After practising yoga since 2008 I decided to venture back into the “real world” I am a full time mother to two beautiful girls and had given up a career in management within the travel industry in order to raise them. As they are now getting older I felt it was time to do something for myself. I decided to combine my loves of yoga and children to become a children’s yoga instructor. I studied with Yoga Bananas which is a Yoga Alliance recognised school and as soon as my training was complete I started teaching. I like to keep up with new ideas and add extra skills so since qualifying as an Instructor I have also completed Kids Yoga training with Cosmic Kids, Calm Kids Meditation Level 1 and recently I became a Kidding Around Yoga certified teacher.
I teach in local primary schools and pre-schools for ages 2 to 12 years, I currently have 2 classes that you are welcome to come along too Kids for 5-11yrs & Tots 2.5 – 4yrs. I will also be a qualified Teen yoga instructor by the end of August 2016 so watch for new class information soon.
Why Kids Yoga?
I know there are many choices already available to parents for extra-curricular classes including gymnastics, swimming, football and dance; so why choose yoga?
Yoga for kids is a fun way to develop important skills in a non-competitive environment. It is easy for girls and boys to become overly self-critical and to lose confidence in themselves as they grow and change. Yoga is a great remedy. There is no judgement in a yoga class about how a child does a yoga pose or plays a game. It is not the aim of the class to have a child do a perfectly aligned yoga pose and this way of thinking helps to nurture a child’s inner strength and self-acceptance.
There are many health benefits of yoga including
1. Maintaining strength and stamina
2. Improving the immune system
3. Exploring creativity and imagination
4. Improving memory and concentration
5. Teaching respect
6. Reduces stress and anxiety
7. Improving sleep
Namaste Kids teaches yoga in a fun and accessible way through the use of stories, songs and games.
Yoga = Fun.
People speak about the importance of health and exercise, the importance of education and the importance of discipline… but what about the importance of fun? Fun is an element in adults’ lives, and even in kids’ lives, that is often neglected and dismissed as unimportant. But fun has lots of benefits:
• It makes you happy! …and therefore healthy! Woo-Hoo! Endorphins!
• It provides a much safer environment to learn in, as opposed to fear
• It helps to release tension
• It creates space to explore and release unprocessed emotions
• While having fun, because fun always involves interaction with other people, we learn to play, communicate and live under certain basic rules of mutual respect… which is the only way to keep the fun going!
So come on, have some fun!